Monday, February 2, 2009

Snowboard Lesson - Are you Goofy?

I'm often asked by new-comers to snowboarding "How do I know if I'm goofy?", there's no true answer to this question, especially nowadays with switch-stance riding being common place and the better you get at both ways, the better rider you'll become. So I usually suggest a snowboard lesson to get you riding both regular and goofy (forwards & switch).
Most riders will always favour one way or the other, if you've come from a surfing or skateboarding background you'll probably have a fair idea which foot forward you prefer. Although, some of the best riders I know are regular (left-foot forward) riders of a snowboard but ride their skateboards goofy, for them it's all about the foot they like pushing with on the snow and concrete.
A good test is to stand still and relax, then get one of your mates to push you from behind, the foot that goes forward to re-balance yourself, 9 times out of 10, is the one that you should put as your front foot on your snowboard. I did this test once with a newbie who over-thought it too much and never put the same foot forward to balance themselves once, I sent them for a snowboard lesson instead, it was much easier to let a paid instructor deal with a tricky customer than eat into my riding time. Even the instructor got frustrated and told them to trade in the snowboard for a set of ski's, that way there'd be no argument as to which foot went forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment